Jump Pass Our Past

Jump Pass Our Past

    The recent uproar sparked by the unjust way an American police officer fatally dealt with George Floyd, has led many to re-think the past. Our past have always and will always be just that - our past, our history. There is no doubt that we bear the mark of slavery and by 'we', I mean every race. 

    I was taken to the Caribbean as a child by my grandmother in the early 1980s. She was one of the many that arrived in Britain during the Windrush era to join her husband. Looking back at my childhood, I have no regrets that I was brought up in Jamaica. However, reflecting on the history I learnt during my secondary years at school, I cannot recall much about 'Black History'.  A lot was taught to us about European History. This subject was one of the least favourites of mine.  You would think that because we were living in a small island that was one of many severely impacted by the slave trade, that we would learn more about the lives of slaves and more about their journey to freedom.  I am not saying that we did not learn any at all but it felt so minute that I cannot recall a great deal.  Over the years, I have read and watched films and documentaries that have increased my knowledge of 'Black History'.

    Now, having lived all these years, I have never felt ostracised that I did not receive enough Black History education throughout my childhood.  I took responsibility for myself and improved my knowledge and will continue to do so. Knowing what I know now, I intend to create a better life for myself and my children.  This better life intentions is not limited to my family though.  I've always thought that life has so much to offer and where people cannot afford some opportunities, it is vital that we as humans 'pay it forward'. A phrase I learnt at church - 'Each one teach one'. Love this.

    So how can we as a race move pass our past? I've observed the hatred and angst amongst people as they learn more about their history, 'Black History' yet there are black on black issues that needs to be addressed. From my point of view, we have not yet accepted that we need to mend our broken homes before we project our anti-slavery woes.  A few days ago, a petition was in circulation - there has been so many petitions thrown at me during this pandemic it's unreal. Anyway, it was asking people to sign a slavery repatriation petition. I have numerous qualms about this. As I mentioned before or from what you may have gathered, I want us to move past our history. By this, I mean positively refurbish and grow our mindset until we have reached the state of having learned and can now teach. Secondly, a sense of unity is missing in our culture. If we examine for example the crime and violence within our communities around the world (even where the black race is dominant), we can see people in different states: greed, aggression, jealousy and insensitivity - to name a few. I'm not saying that this isn't prevalent in any other race but it is a problem that needs addressing because we're hurting our own. We also shouldn't wait for opportune times to dust off the cobwebs or dig up the graves of a moment.  If we say we want equal rights and justice it shouldn't be limited to just a moment. We should work with each other everyday to help uplift our race and fight against any oppression - Strength in Unity.  

    There are a lot of people out there doing what they can to try and make change but they need support. I remember last year when a group of ladies was so passionate about introducing Black History into the school curriculum in the UK.  Since January last year, they have been working tirelessly to gain support and make appeals for this to happen.  It went quiet on social media for a while - as with most things, it was yesterday's news. Then, one of the many petitions I received asked me to sign an initiative to include Black History in the curriculum.  I looked into this to see if this was a follow on from what was initiated last year but hey ho! it was not. My point here is this, there are people I classify as band-wagoners. What they do is jump on to a cause or situation and follow like a puppy rather than doing research, educating themselves and try to support what is already out there. For example, chain mails, the most ridiculous things are sent to me sometimes and when I question some of the senders their response is generally 'I got it from someone so I'm sending it on'. I mean, come on, how many times will you tell Facebook that you don't authorise them to bla bla bla... Get my point yet?

    I'm definitely no band-wagoner. So what have I done or doing to elicit change within my community? It is too long for this blog. I can tell you this though, whatever I am passionate about, the world will know about it. WATCH THIS SPACE!

    

Comments

  1. In my opinion. We as black people are not supportive of each other because we are bitter and we are bitter because we have been and to some extent are still being oppressed. It's not that we don't want to do better but when we try we are profiled and stigmatized. As for our own sometimes we can't play the wash mine I'll wash yours card because it's a dog eat dog world. Many of us blacks have high profile jobs but yet we will never hold the handle. It's like a dog that leaves the kennel for the first time (the tail is always between the legs, i.e. fear) we want to help each other but afraid of the consequence if we do. Others are stuck in the mind set that if I can do it so can you not remembering that someone helped you to get where you are no matter how much or how little the help. We as a black nation yes are stuck in the past but then if you look closely not much have changed in name of oppression. People cannot move on without forgiveness and definitely cannot grow without change. No change no progress. #wakandaforeva!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Class - Never Too Late to Study

Friendship - Circles