Do you have the glow?

Something I wrote nearly five years ago. Enjoy!

Do you have the glow?

Today as I sit here during my break at work I was led to write this.  Thanks be to God for giving me the grace, guidance and mercy.  Ephesians 4:2 reminds us that we need to be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. I would like to cover three points on humility in the form of having the spiritual glow.  So, what is the glow? Do we have a hidden glow? 

 

What is the glow?

When I think of the challenges of life and how people react to situations and circumstances based on how they feel that day, it makes me wonder why as Christians we forget the teachings of the bible, the guidance given to us by God in how we should present ourselves and our approach.    Glow can be defined as giving out a steady, radiant light; in other words a shine that is bright and visible by others.  How would we define our spiritual glow?  The simplest way I can describe this glow can be found in the book of 1Peter 3:3-4 ‘Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewellery or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.’ 

I urge you to evaluate your glow. Is your spirit beautiful, is it quiet, gentle and does it shine on the outside for others to see?  Have you ever heard the saying ‘you look radiant!’ You know, we usually say this when someone’s been on holiday to a tropical island or if a woman is pregnant, you can see a difference in them, can’t you?  Should this be the only time someone says that we are glowing?  As Christians, it is our calling that we consolidate the teachings of the bible and what we have learnt into our daily lives. One of the stages of our Christian journey should be to explore our spirituality and ensure that we project a positive, righteous and everlasting spiritual glow that others can see the beauty on the inside, radiating on the outside.

 

Do we have a hidden glow?

Now that we have an understanding of what the glow is, it is time we examine ourselves even further. Do we have a hidden glow?  There are many times we may find ourselves in different circumstances and with different cohorts of people such as at work, school or whilst we’re out commuting.  Do we hide our glow in these different situations? Or do we retract and try to be like chameleons hiding our spiritual glow as it does not sit well with what is around us?

1Peter 3:15 teaches us ‘but in your hearts honour Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defence to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,’ We should go about our daily lives being honest Christians, ready to battle against those who fight against our spirits, however, this should be done humbly. I am reminded of what my grandmother used to say - yes I grew up with my grandmother and have many a tales to tell - she would be disappointed at others’ behaviours but her words would always cause me to reflect on the kind heart that she had: she would say ‘Lef dem to God’ (leave them to God).  In other words, she would refrain from reacting and stooping so low as to forgetting about the bible’s teachings and would walk away, go home and pray for them.  When you look at her face you could see it light up and until this day I carry a smile on my face no matter what situation I am faced with. For you see, my inner glow is humbled and I rely on the fact that I can turn to God and have a chat about my situation.  This is how I am able to develop coping mechanisms through difficult and challenging times.

In Paul’s letter to Titus, he exhorted him to ‘Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity,  and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.’ (Titus2:7-8) This is a good example for us to follow, as Christians we are defined by our outer glow. I appeal to all of us to unmask our hidden spiritual glow and walk proudly knowing that we are secure in the knowledge, power and glory of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

If we as Christians present ourselves differently from those around us, what good would that serve? Are we observing the teachings of the bible? If we are observed as the same, how can we then motivate, encourage, evangelise and bring others to know about Christ, know about the teachings of the bible, transfer our glow and progress in our journey of everlasting life? The song writer says ‘We are a chosen generation, called forth to show His excellence. All I require for life; God has given me and I know who I am’ then it goes on further to say ‘Take a look at me, I’m a wonder, it doesn’t matter what you see now, can you see His glory, cause I know who I am’ Do you know who you are? Are you a wonder? Are you showing His glory? Is your glow hidden?

 

Conclusion

I implore you now, search for your glow - it is there. Turn to God if your glow is tempted - He is there. Do not hide your glow - we are Christians. Humble yourselves, be honest with yourselves and let your glow shine through for others to see and remember the teachings of the bible ‘Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.’  Colossians 3:12.

God Bless.

Yvonne Alexander-Taylor

December 2015


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Class - Never Too Late to Study

Friendship - Circles

Jump Pass Our Past